I have received a lot of requests for meals that include meat, so today, I bring you… MEAT! These Grilled Peanut Crusted Suya Chicken Kebabs are my take on the popular West African street food. These kebabs have a unique spicy flavor and are SOO GOOD!
Suya refers to the grilled meat kebabs popularized in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa by the Hausa people. Suya can be made from a variety of meats, most often beef or chicken, but also intestinal meats such as kidney or tripe.
What makes suya different from other kinds of grilled skewered meat is the marinade, made from a blend of ground peanuts and various spices. After the suya meat marinates, it is grilled to perfection and served with even more spices.
When I first learned of suya, I instantly fell in love. I think as a Caribbean, my appreciation for spice and a great marinade got me hooked! And it didn’t hurt that the suya marinade included peanuts, one of my all time favorite things.
What’s better than meat on a grill? According to my dad… NOTHING. He loves to grill and I thought making this recipe for him would be a great way to close out the summer. I was right!
While my dad is no stranger to grilling meat and has tried every marinade known to mankind (jerk is still his favorite!), he enjoyed the unique flavor that came from the suya meat. He even pitched in with the food styling and directed some of the shots for this post!
Now that I don’t eat meat, I will have to think of a way to make suya vegetable kebabs (stay tuned!). But until then, I will just have to rely on my food testers to make sure my meat-filled recipes are delicious. I don’t think my dad minded at all 🙂
If you are looking for a quick, healthy-ish outdoor dinner option, this is the perfect recipe for you!
I hope you will try this recipe! If you try it and love it, please let me know in the comments below and tag #SweetandSorrel on Instagram. I can’t wait to hear from you!
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chicken seasoning
- 1 tsp hot pepper paste (or red pepper flakes)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- crushed peanuts, to garnish
- In a food processor, pulse the roasted peanuts until crumbled and no large pieces remain. Be careful not to over process, as the peanuts will turn to peanut butter!
- Remove peanut mix from food processor and combine with the rest of the suya ingredients. The marinade should be thick, but spreadable. If the mixture is too thick, add some water to thin it out.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes and rub with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Rub the meat with generous amounts of the suya marinade. Let the marinated meat rest in the refrigerator over night.
- When you are ready to make the kebabs, preheat grill to medium-high heat and spray with oil. Place marinated meat onto skewers (about 6 per skewer) and grill until cooked and char marks form, about 15 minutes. Make sure to turn the meat occasionally during grilling for even doneness.
- Garnish the kebabs with crushed peanuts and serve with vegetables or rice, or eat them right away!