It’s been so long since I last posted. I spent the past few weeks traveling (yay) but caught a cold as soon as I returned (huge bummer!). I’m finally feeling well enough to start cooking real food again, and for my first meal, I made these Passion Flower Waffles! These waffles are inspired by my recent trip to Brussels, but I put a little twist on them by infusing the batter with passion flower extract. It’s an easy, fun recipe that will shake up your weekend pancake/waffle routine!
I have so many amazing things to say about my trip to Brussels. I was awed by the architecture, the people, and of course, the food! We had a tour guide lead us around the city, and I learned so much. Before going to Brussels, I didn’t realize that the Belgian waffle and liege waffle were actually two different things. I thought both referred to the sweet round-shaped waffles that are made using pearl sugar crystals, but it turns out that’s only the liege waffle. The Belgian waffle is actually a larger square-shaped waffle that’s lighter and more crisp than the liege and is usually topped with chocolate or fruit. Funny enough, I also learned that the “Belgian waffle” is actually not the most popular waffle in Belgium, that honor belongs to the liege waffle.
All this waffle education got me excited to make some waffles of my own when I returned home. I can’t say these waffles are anything like the ones I had in Brussels, but they are really tasty in their own right.
For these waffles, I used a batter made from a mixture of oat flour, milled flaxseed, and whole wheat flour. I then mixed in a flax egg, some almond milk, vanilla extract, and a few drops of passion flower extract. The passion flower extract tastes very similar to molasses, so it adds a bit of sweetness to the batter. Passion flower extract is also very good for alleviating stress and calming nerves. My mother introduced me to passion flower extract and I’ve found it helpful. It’s amazing how powerful herbs and plants are!
Even if you aren’t looking to fight off stress, I encourage you to give these waffles a try. If you do, be sure to comment below and tag #SweetandSorrel. I’m looking forward to your comments.
P.S. I had to include a picture of this little guy 😀
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 flax egg*
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 drops of passion flower extract (I used this one)
- 1 tbsp agave (optional)
- choice of toppings (I used dried hibiscus flowers and berries)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, egg, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix milk, oil, vanilla extract, and passion flower extract. Combine wet and dry ingredients but be careful not to over mix.
- Add 1/4 cup of mixture to a greased waffle iron and cook until waffles are golden brown. Remove and garnish with your desired toppings.
* Make flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flaxseed and 2 tbsp water. Let the mixture sit for 2-3 minutes until firm.