Today’s recipe is an aromatic Homemade Coconut Ginger Granola that uses simple ingredients to create a flavorful, delicious granola that’s better for you than the store bought kind.
I have a confession: I am a picky eater. The kind of picky eater that has to separate the food on her plate so that they don’t touch. The kind who goes out to eat and asks the waiter to explain every ingredient on the menu before telling them to basically customize my dish. Yup, it’s bad.
Being picky means I’m often unimpressed by store bought granola. They somehow always seem to have something I don’t want (i.e. raisins or cranberries). My solution: make my own! Homemade granola is so simple to make, and the best part is that you can customize it to include only the ingredients you really enjoy. It’s also great because you can cut down on the amount of sugar and fat, which is often present in store bought granola and gives granola a bad rep. Well no more.
Today, I’ve come up with a granola recipe that includes all my favorite things: Coconut Ginger Granola. This granola is the perfect balance of savory and sweet. Plus, the scent of warm ginger, coconut, cinnamon, and vanilla will make your kitchen smell like a decadent dessert, without all the prep (or the calorie-induced guilt!).
Ginger isn’t typically something you find in granola, but don’t knock it til you try it! Not only does ginger have a ton of health benefits (growing up, ginger was the solution to every minor ailment, from headaches to stomach cramps and colds), it also tastes delicious. This recipe uses coconut and ginger in two forms to make sure those flavors shine through. Coconut oil adds a touch of sweetness, while coconut strips gives the granola a little extra crunch. Plus, ground ginger provides a hint of spice, and the candied ginger adds additional texture.
Basically, this is the granola of my island dreams. And it’ll be part of your dreams too once you give it a try! Make a large batch of this granola and pair it with your favorite yogurt or fruits. Or just eat it all by itself. I won’t judge.
- 3 cups gluten free old fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic coconut chips
- 1/4 cup uncrystallized candied ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or agave/honey)
- 1/4 coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pumpkin seeds, almonds, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread granola mixture onto baking sheet in one even layer. Bake 20-25 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Once the granola is done baking, turn off the oven. Remove granola and stir in candied ginger and coconut strips. Return to oven for 5 minutes to let the residual heat from the oven lightly toast the coconut. Remove granola and allow it to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.